Easy Ways To Conserve Energy During Our Heatwave!
ERCOT (The Electric Reliability Council of Texas) has issued a power "watch" for the state today due to more record breaking temperatures.┬á The peak time to conserve energy is between 3pm and 7pm this evening.┬á
Here are some tips to help you conserve energy this afternoon and evening:
The high yesterday in Dallas was 99. Houston saw 96 degrees; Austin saw 99 degrees.
- Limit electricity usage to only that consumption which is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic equipment.
- Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump, or other home appliances between the hours of 3 to 7 p.m.
- Close blinds and drapes on windows that get direct sun, set air conditioning thermostats to 80 degrees, and use fans to circulate the air.
- Use microwaves or outdoor grills for cooking to avoid heating the home.
- Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.