Easy Ways To Conserve Energy During Our Heatwave!
ERCOT (The Electric Reliability Council of Texas) has issued a power "watch" for the state today due to more record breaking temperatures. The peak time to conserve energy is between 3pm and 7pm this evening.
Here are some tips to help you conserve energy this afternoon and evening:
The high yesterday in Dallas was 99. Houston saw 96 degrees; Austin saw 99 degrees.
- Limit electricity usage to only that consumption which is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic equipment.
- Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump, or other home appliances between the hours of 3 to 7 p.m.
- Close blinds and drapes on windows that get direct sun, set air conditioning thermostats to 80 degrees, and use fans to circulate the air.
- Use microwaves or outdoor grills for cooking to avoid heating the home.
- Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.