Summer Kid Health Tips
By Dr Ari Brown Author of Baby 411 (The Baby Handbook)
Here are some Summer Do's:
1. Sunblock-- for all kids, including yours! (Most parents think babies under 6 months shouldn't have it on)
2. Bug spray (or insect netting)--yes it's safe. FYI: Mosquitos like people who blow off more CO2 and who are hot--which is why they really like pregnant women.
3. Swimmer's ear prevention--for kids who actually go under the water, not babies in the baby pool. It's a skin infection in the lining of the ear canal from pool water that pools in there, leaving a nice moist, dark, warm environment for germs. Parents can make their own swim ear prevention drops--rubbing alcohol and vinegar.
1. No fireworks please. The ER docs will thank me for mentioning this.
2. 2 hours of screen time a day max.
If we can highlight my office's (Capital Pediatric) after hours urgent care--open 5-8pm nightly and on weekends. We are also doing well checks during those hours for families who can't get off work to get their kids in.