THE 5 BEST FRUITS TO EAT DURING WINTER
┬áTHE 5 BEST FRUITS TO EAT DURING WINTER
Believe it or not, this is a perfect time to branch out to some bolder fruits, and some of the best hit their peak just in time to snap our tastebuds out of their winter funk.
In the new Men's Health magazine, chef Theo Roe of the Culinary Institute of America says that "many offer a great combination of sweet flavor with an acidic tang." He adds, "They're refreshing and can provide a nice mental boost during the long cold winter."
Here are five selected both for taste as well as their health-boosting potential:
1. Persimmon. The antioxidants in persimmons can help control diabetes and the cell damage it causes. Serving tip: Serve with prosciutto and mozzarella cheese.
2. Pomegranate. Pomegranate seeds are high in polyphenols, plant chemicals that fight inflammation. Serving tip: Mix the seeds into oatmeal for more flavor and crunch.
3. Kiwi. One kiwi contains about 100 milligrams of immunity-boosting vitamin C. Serving tip: Add kiwi slices to a spinach salad.
4. Guava. One cup of raw guava contains more than 8,500 micrograms of the antioxidant lycopene, which may help prevent coronary artery disease. Serving tip: Pair it with blue cheese and figs for a snack.
5. Pomelo. Pomelos pack flavanones, a class of antioxidants that have been shown to help prevent the spread of cancerous cells. Serving tip: Include them in a topping for a dessert sorbet.