THE MIND OF THE MOTHER-IN-LAW
The editors at Reader's Digest compiled this list of things your mother-in-law thinks, but would never say to you. It's not only great insight into the mind of the mother-in-law -- but a good guide to developing a better relationship with the mother of your man.Things Your Mother-in-Law Won't Tell You:1. "I spent a couple of decades being the leading lady; now I have a character role. It hurts to be downsized."
2. "I know he's your husband now, but he's still my son."
3. "You don't seem very confident about yourself. The littlest comment from me is taken as a criticism, so I'm very careful what I say around you."
4. "Every year, I send you a birthday present, but you never even pick up the phone to thank me. This year, I said, 'That's it. No more.' Yet look at me: I'm about to send another present. I guess that's how I am."
5. "We mothers say to our children, 'I want you to be happy.' And we mean that. What we don't say is, 'But I would like to be happy too.'"
6. "I've bought and sold 13 houses in my life. Why won't you ask for my advice?"
7. "When I visit you, I'm not coming for a white-glove inspection. I'm just coming to see the family."
8. "When I really want to talk to my son privately, I don't call your house. I call his cell phone."
9. "I'm in competition with your mother. She takes you on vacations every year and buys things I can't afford. All I can do is love you and babysit for you. I hope that's enough and that it's appreciated."